Additional functionality can be added to your website to transform it from a blogging platform into a Content Management System. Some of the additional functionality can include addition of forms, event calendars, online communities and many other features.
Additional plugins to add extra features to your site can be done from within your Word Press installation or by downloading them from the following website. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/
A number of plugins that you may like to look at further include
- cforms – Allows you to create forms that can be presented to your visitors. Useful for feedback or contact forms. More info can be found at http://www.deliciousdays.com/cforms-plugin/
- Google Analyticator – Allows your site to be monitored by Google Analytics which provides information about how many visitors your site is receiving etc. For more information and to sign up for your free account visit http://www.google.com/analytics/ and refer to the Analytics section to this guide.
- MapPress Easy Google Maps – MapPress makes it easy to insert Google Maps into your website posts and pages.
- NextGen Gallery – A photo gallery for your website.
- WP Events Calendar – An event calendar for your website. Allows you to use additional widgets to display the calendar information to visitors.
- WP Include File – WP Include File allows you to include an additional PHP page into your website pages to include additional content within your website. This is an advanced plugin.
How to use them.
To enable the additional functionality you will need to enable the plugin.
By default plugins that are installed are disabled. To enable a plugin use the following steps.
- Log into your Word press site.
- From the Dashboard click Plugins from the menu of the left side of the screen.
- To activate a plugin click the Activate link below the name of the Plugin to be activated.
- Once a plug is activated you can then configure the plugin via the menus on the left side of the screen. (Plugins can be configured in many different methods including a new menu item or a settings menu sub item. Some plugins add widgets etc.)
To install additional plugins please see the Uploading new items section to this guide.